[vorbis-dev] Building vorbis-tools without libao

Jonathan Stewart reaper at fogtree.org
Mon Sep 3 04:04:45 PDT 2001

>For my new file (and thus mp3) server I've decided to switch
>completely to Ogg Vorbis. This means having to reencode
>~30GB worth of 128Kb MP3's, but i figured that it would all
>be worth the effort.

Sorry, but it won't be worth the effort.  For a number of reasons,
transcoding from MP3 to Ogg Vorbis is NOT a good thing.  The main reason
being that your audio will end up sounding _worse_.  See other messages
on this list for more info.

** To the vorbis.com site admins:  Perhaps someone should post a short
article saying that this is bad, and all the reasons why it's bad.
 Seems the average user doesn't get it, and therefore, to save ourselves
some breath, we could just reference to the website.

As for you compiling questions, i'm sorry, i can't help you with that.
 Though your motives are scewed, i think this is a valid question, and
actually something i wondered when having fun compiling vorbis-tools for
myself.  Some wise coder please tell us.

Jonathan