[vorbis-dev] win32sdk build environment

Chris Wolf cwolf at starclass.com
Fri Oct 19 10:46:04 PDT 2001

Yes, I'm well aware of this method of running the build from the command line.
That is what the original scripts, that Jack created, did.

My approach to using "nmake" and exported makefiles was taken for the
following reasons:

     Once the SDK is built it does not rely on msdev -- you only need
     to use "nmake" -- as such, it is backwards compatible with older
     versions the microsoft compilers and linkers, which is not the case
     when building directly with msdev.

Of course there's the chicken/egg issue that you DO need the current version
of msdev to export the makefiles.  (I was originally checking in the makefiles)

I suppose I could revert to building with msdev, and offer the current build process
(using nmake) as alternative for the case where a more portable build environment
is required...