[vorbis-dev] small bug

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Oct 13 23:47:57 PDT 2001

>Of course, to add 8-bit clean data, one has to muck with vc.user_comments
>directly, since no easy way to add an 8-bit-clean comment is provided
>by the current API.

Yes. This is deliberate - decoding is to spec, encoding limits you to
'doing sane things', unless you really know what you're doing. However,
it used to not be possible to get libvorbis to create an invalid packet
by doing this sort of mucking around inside the comment structure, and
it still shouldn't, so this is a legit bug.

I'll commit a fix soon. Thanks for the bug report. (For other people:
this is a model of a good bug report. Take note! ;-)

>Anyway, either the spec or the code has to change.  I hope it's the code,
>so I can make my totally unworthy t-shirt claim.  And yah, I realize the
>comment tools don't handle the spec'ed 8-bit cleanliness yet either.

Code will be fixed soon. It'll still not let you _easily_ create comments
with embedded nulls in it, though. The only reason to do so is to dump
chunks of binary data in there, which is strongly discouraged. UTF8
doesn't allow NULs, so 'reasonable' comments will never have them.

Michael