[vorbis-dev] bug fixes in vorbis-tools/share

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Sun Oct 21 12:17:01 PDT 2001

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Matthijs Laan wrote:

> On Thu 18 Oct 2001 21:49:15, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo at rano.org>
> wrote:
>
> >  * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> >  * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>
> Why not BSD, I wonder...
>
> I'm certainly not going to use this viral code for UTF8 conversions. As
> this UTF8 conversion seems to require quite a lot of code, I guess a lot of
> people (who also won't even consider GPL) will just go on creating broken
> but easy ASCIIZ implementations. I just did, actually.

Well, since he was contributing a patch to vorbis-tools, I don't think he
really cared whether it would licensed in a manner you personally would
approve of.  :)

But seriously, don't blame this contributor for your program limitations.
UTF8 is complicated, but it isn't rocket science.  I'm sure you can find a
implementation somewhere that would be compatible with your licensing
philosophy.  Or write your own and release it under the license of your
choice.  Or you could ask the author nicely if he would relicense it to you
under the BSD (since he maintains the copyright, he can do that).

Either way, don't make Mr. Evans feel like he owes you anything, because he
does not.

(BTW, Thanks for the patch, Ed!  I'll be checking it out very soon.)

---
Stan Seibert