[vorbis-dev] Ogg as container format

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Oct 2 09:03:57 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 06:59:09PM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:
> >Here you seem to imply that the packets are to do with RTP networking
> >units. For DV do you use the DV RFC to decide these? Or are they
> >arbitrary? You have 2 size-limited structures overlaid on each other,
> >neither of which necessarily corresponds to a fundamental data unit
> >of the underlying media.

They correspond depending on the codec used.  In the Vorbis RTP
mapping, one Ogg/V packet does not become one RTP packet either (they
can be accumulated).

> Well, vorbis packets are size limited, so technically this is true.

No, not true.  Vorbis packets are not size bounded whatsoever.
*Pages* are size limited to a tad under 64k, but that's just async
framing.  Packets can span pages forever.

> ><sarcasm>
> >You call QT old-fashioned, and then include hard-limited 64k page
> >sizes?

Pages are async framing.  The max page size is only to make capture
resolution reasonable.  The packets framed by these pages have *no
size limit whatsoever*.  Think about the spec more.  You've basically
just declared the equivalent of 'binary is *so* last century',
implying that there's some fundamental limitation to binary
representation that doesn't exist in some other integer base.

This 64k 'limit' places no limits whatsoever on the packetization
sizes it frames.

> >RTP streaming then. HTTP does not need packet boundaries in the file.
> >It is a stream in the filestream sense instead.

Vorbis over RTP does not use Ogg.  It uses RTP.  Have a look at the
Vorbis-over-RTP spec we've submitted to the IETF (um... missing the
URL right now, I'm answering mail offline).

Monty