[vorbis-dev] Re: [Flac-dev] ogg/flac and winamp plugin

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Wed Nov 21 20:31:30 PST 2001

At 3:41 PM -0800 11/20/01, Christian.Buchner wrote:
>Such that an audio player can get hold of the audio packets and stream
>metadata, regardless of whether there is a video stream contained within
>the stream and regardless of whether the stream is multiplexed or not.
>And most important: regardless of the audio or video codecs used.
>And we also need metadata for audio and video alltogether (like "recording
>of BBC world news, <date> <time>, blah"

Congratulations, you've reinvented QuickTime!

>Someone should start to design a versatile interface which gives you a
>list of all codecs and streams within an ogg file and the audio and video
>properties. And it should delivers the audio and video you requested in
>uncompressed form in any color space or PCM format you require.
>And ideally, this interface would work with streaming files as well as with
>files from local storage. ;)  I am dreaming...

No, you're not.  Apple did it with QuickTime, it's not an impossible job.

At the API level in QuickTime, a Movie is made up of Tracks.  Tracks
have Media.  Media have Samples.  And of course there's a lot of
variability in things like time bases, track start and end times,
interdependencies between tracks (such as an effects track that mixes
two other tracks), etc.

I've occasionally said Ogg should eventually have something like this.

   -- Chris

--
Chris Hanson                      |  Email: cmh at bDistributed.com
bDistributed.com, Inc.            |  Phone: +1-847-372-3955
http://bdistributed.com/          |  Personal Email: cmh at mac.com