[vorbis-dev] Greeting from Ogg on a Chip project

Pattara Kiatisevi pkiatisevi at student.ei.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 7 04:02:35 PST 2001

Hi all,

This is to say hello to all of you as we are starting the project Ogg on a
Chip for our master thesis. More information can be found at
http://oggonachip.sourceforge.net/. Cut from the homepage:

"The Ogg Vorbis Player (http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/index.html) shall
be implemented in form of a system-on-a-chip by using hardware/software
co-design techniques. A prototyping board with the open source LEON
processor (http://www.gaisler.com) will serve as SOC platform. uCLinux
(http://www.uclinux.org) shall be used as embedded operating system. After
an analysis of the performance requirements of the decoder, the system
shall be partitioned appropriately and implemented as hardware/software
co-design."

As we will make use of your sotware (libvorbis+ogg123)  then may I ask you
all for your comment toward the project. Do you have any recommendations?

Now we are in the feasibility study phase. My first task is to profile the
ogg123+libvorbis to see if any part of the software could be done in the
hardware. I used gprof and found that the computational intensive part
starts from mapping0_inverse() and its children (mdct*(), res2_inverse(),
and codebook.c) so I just thought this might be a part that we could
implement it in hardware (if possible). Do you have any comment? Are we on
the right track?

Thank you very much,
Pattara

The best things in life are free. - B.G. DeSilva (1927)