[vorbis-dev] oggenc only encodes in "128 kbps" mode?

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Wed Nov 7 03:17:34 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beni Cherniavksy" <cben at techunix.technion.ac.il>
To: <vorbis-dev at xiph.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: [vorbis-dev] oggenc only encodes in "128 kbps" mode?

> On 2001-11-07, Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
>
> > On 2001-11-07, Jon Aseltine wrote:
> >
> > > oggenc only seems to encode in "128 kbps" nominal bitrate mode, no
matter
> > > what I give using the -b option. Latest CVS.
> >
> > Latest CVS only supports 128kbps.
> >
> > If you need something else, don't use it.
> >
> How about noting this in the help, or better show a warning with any other
> `-b' value - it should be easier than answering this repeating question ;)

The 128kbps limitation is one of the CVS encoder libraries, not of
oggenc or any other utility. Oggenc does not know about it, so it cannot
print a warning.

The limitation is there because the code is experimental. There is no use
documenting experimental code.

The solution is not to use experimental code, or when you use it, accept
that it may not fully work.

It is like putting your hand in the fire and then complaining that you
burnt your fingers.

--
GCP