[vorbis-dev] libao and OS X

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at gatwood.net
Mon Nov 5 20:04:29 PST 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 captoblivious at mac.com wrote:

> ARGH! I hate my school's mail server. Sorry if you've gotten this more
> than once.

About five times.  And replied to it once.  I forwarded you my reply, but
I'm guessing it never reached you, so I'll reply again.

> OK, so the story so far. Wanted to play with libao and the macosx plugin
> for it, see if I can bend it to my will, have a nice interface for playing
> sound in OS X.
> With utilities from fink (such as automake), it compiles just beautiful.
> Great.
> Problem is, it refuses to load up any of the plugins (in this case the esd
> and macosx plugins, either of which would be useful to me).
> First problem: libao expects plugins to have the ".so" extension, when
> really they have the ".dylib" extension. I made a quick hack to fix this,
> to see if that was really the problem...
> Sure enough, there's more.
> Second problem. For reasons beyond me (because I know not about such
> things), dlopen() refuses to open the plugins. In _get_plugin() in
> audio_out.c (line 101 or so), dlopen() is called to open the prospective
> plugin: in each case, it fails.

dlopen() is part of libcompat, which is for loading .so libraries, not
.dylibs.  I don't recall the exact API for using .dylib libraries, but it
is quite different.  You can't mix and match, so you need to either
compile as .so libs and use dlopen or compile as .dylib libs and use the
dyld stuff.  The easiest thing to do would probably be to tweak the
makefiles slightly to generate .so files, at least for now.

Later
David