[vorbis-dev] audio/vorbis media type registration

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Tue May 15 15:25:20 PDT 2001

Kevin Marks wrote:

> At 8:48 am -0500 15/5/01, Steve Nicolai wrote:
> >  > As a media type I used 'Vrbs' for Vorbis content; this is only seen by
> >>  Quicktime itself, and is not on the filesystem.
> >>
> >>  Maybe Nicolai wants to comment as well?  I hope he takes over the QT Vorbis
> >>  effort, as I have neither time or enough QT experience right now :-)
> >
> >I haven't gotten this far yet.  But I will use 'Vrbs' for the sound
> >media type in QT, if it's not already taken.
>
> You mean a codec type don't you?
> You should not need to invent a new media type for a sound format in QuickTime.

Well yeah, "the identifier i tag onto the data that my importer produces
such that
the right audio decompressor will get used".

But it's not strictly "codec type" either, as any codec can swallow more
than one of these...
erm... what's it called...

Okay, I'll look it up:

Bah. Too easy. It's called "(thing) subtype".

Dagdag,

Segher