[vorbis-dev] Spectral band replication

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon May 14 13:25:36 PDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Robert Voigt wrote:

> There have been some improvements in audio codecs since the original mp3 was
> released, but they are not as great that 64kbps could sound like 128kbps.

That having been said, I'm extremely keen to see how Vorbis 1.0 sounds at
such rates.  I do recall hopeful estimates at getting 80kbps Vorbis to
sound as good as 128kbps MP3.  In my somewhat unscientific testing, already
the Vorbis 112kbps VBR mode (averaging in fact below 100kbps) is more or
less analogus to LAME's 128kbps CBR MP3 mode.  and with joint stereo to be
added, who knows?

Geoff.