[vorbis-dev] Can compressed music sound better thanuncompressed?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu May 10 18:07:36 PDT 2001

Hi,

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> [snip]
> > ... and as someone who makes music I really don't want my sound to be
> > altered. If I make some mistakes everybody who knows what details to
> > listen to should be able to tell me that I made some bullshit on the
> > technical side. This is important for me, 'cause naturally I want to be
> > able to learn from my mistakes and the feedback I get.
> I seriously doubt that *ANY* perceptual codec is going to cover any mistakes
> you make as a performer. Perhaps the mistakes of your mixer/studio
> (potentially you as well..) but not you as a performer.

Thats exactly what I meant, because I make my music on the computer and
then also master it myself (which is more or less studio work). This, of
course, is nothing professional (yet, hopefully :) ), but the mastering
itself also has to be learned and can always be improved. I was talking
about equalization and other psychoacoustic things that are related to
this, e.g. stereo expansion, compression (of the sound, not the data),
enhancement and exciting.

Moritz