[vorbis-dev] Can compressed music sound better than uncompressed?

Robert Voigt f1k at gmx.de
Wed May 9 12:14:37 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 09 May 2001 20:08, Scott Manley wrote:
> It's exactly what Microsoft audio does, it massages the audio to make it
> sound 'better' to people.

This is not what the book means, it's relatively old and basic. Let me
explain what I see as the core idea of this paragraph:
Perceptual coders remove certain parts of the original recording and that
lets the music get better reproduced by playback systems. The original
recording sounds worse than the compressed music because those parts that
otherwise get removed  make it harder for the playback system to reproduce
the music.