[vorbis-dev] fixed point math

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Wed May 30 08:17:51 PDT 2001

On this subject a quick note that could be of interest to porters:

I asked users of the Nomad Jukebox if it'd support Vorbis audio. The
answer is: the reason to why it so soon supported WMA audio, was that
Microsoft ports its decoder to any thinkable platform, and supplies it for
free (I guess) to hardware player manufacturers like Creative Labs. So
they simply didn't port the WMA player themselves, and expect this kind
of luxury in order to support anything beyond MPEG.

The Nomad Jukebox uses the Cirrus Logic EP7212 (StrongArm derivate) with
selectable processor speed and ad hoc audio decoding instruction set. The
chip spec is here:
http://www.cirruslogic.com/design/products/overview/index.cfm?ProductID=111

Could interest someone.

Linus Walleij