[vorbis-dev] One codebook for all audiofiles?

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Tue May 29 09:27:59 PDT 2001

[ I'm not in the list because I didn't find a digested version; please
move the lists to sourceforge.net, and we would have the digested version.
I read the replies from the archive. ]

Hello.

Would it be possible to allow Vorbis use the same codebook for multiple
files? I could keep a 650 MB codebook on CD-R and use that for all my
audiofiles. If that is possible, how much the compression ratio or quality
would increase? How the codebook should be generated?

Do you have the algorithm documentation available? The distribution
and the webpage has no documents.

[ Slightly offtopic: ]
Because I'm wondering which is better at high bitrates (1:4 compression
ratio), Vorbis or LAME, I would like to know how to compare the original
audio and the decoded audio? With LAME, a simple sample-by-sample comparison
failed badly (the error was as high as 7 bits). With ratio 1:4 I aim at
archival quality and thus the overall error counts, not psychoacoustics.

Best Regards,

Juhana