[vorbis-dev] Re: Possible fix for bug #14 (ogg123 -b memory leak)

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Thu May 17 07:50:29 PDT 2001

Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> wrote:

> Seeing Jack's reply to this, and not having any BSD handy to look at
> things on, I'll have to let you two argue on that subject.

There's nothing to argue about.  I merely pointed out that threads
are problematical for portability.  Although people can always fall
back on GNU Pth, I guess.  (Can non-preemptive threads even be used
for what you have in mind?)

> But shouldn't a working pthreads be generally a prerequisite for
> the Linux emulation layer that the BSDs tout?

There's a world of difference between a pthreads userland
implementation, and emulating enough of the Linux clone() system
call to support the Linux userland implementation.

As I mentioned before, I don't know whether the problems that show
up are caused by buggy pthreads implementations, or by people
confusing Linux implementation details with standards, or both.
Well, we'll see.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de