[vorbis-dev] media type registrations

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Tue May 15 08:04:06 PDT 2001

OK, thanks for the fast, immediate and insightful feedback. I will await
further comments on this issue before submitting the media types of
course.

Here are feedback for all comments so far:

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Ralph Giles wrote:

> I would not say 'OggSquish'. I suspect the usage on the website is
> historical

Taken. I changed the term everywhere to "the Ogg bitstream format".
Someone ought to update the doc on the website, and in the CVS under /doc
on this issue.

> Note that Ogg, as a container format, can be used to encapsulate any
> sort of data you like, including executable content.

Taken. Notes added on this in both types.

> 'A broadly portable reference implemenation is available under a BSD
> license.' ?

Taken. Much better this way.

> I think it's appropriate to use the mimetype assigned to that other
> format, and reserve audio/vorbis for ogg-embedded vorbis data.

Taken. Spec updated.

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> It is possible (and easy) to sign Ogg streams using the generic file
> comment headers; as far as I know, there's no standard way to do this
> yet, but GPG signing is one likely candidate.

and

> I'm not sure if the "vorbis" header will always be at that location,
> although it seems right, yes.

Both these issues I will adress by revision. The media type registry is,
in difference from the IETF RFCs, possible to alter. But if I am to write
a real RFC (which I expect to be something like a bare-bones version of
existing documents) these issues must first be resolved. RFCs live
forever...

> There's a non-profit Xiph.org now (or will be there shortly; Jack?)

I guess "Xiphophorus company" means what it says on www.xiph.org: "The
Xiphophorus company is a distributed group of Free and Open Source
programmers working to protect the foundations of Internet multimedia from
reckless domination by purely self-serving corporate interests."

So it is "company" not in the meaning of "for-profit organization" but
rather "a bunch of friends"  :)

But I would be very happy to include the name and postal adress of the
non-profit organization, if it exists.

> As a media type I used 'Vrbs' for Vorbis content; this is only seen by
> Quicktime itself, and is not on the filesystem.

Is this relevant for internet transfer in audio/vorbis or should it be
regarded as information for the video/quicktime media type
(ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/video/quicktime),
or the non-existent media type application/quicktime?

Yours,
Linus Walleij