[vorbis-dev] audio/vorbis media type registration

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Mon May 14 17:55:38 PDT 2001

> Granted, but once I import the .ogg into Qt, I can add other media
> (Video, flash whatever) and save it ut as a self-contained movie, or
> hint it and stream it.

Ah, okay.  But there's two other things you could do:

1) convert everything to a non-Ogg format
2) convert everything to an Ogg-supported format (although we don't have
lossless audio, dedicated speech, still and/or movie image coders yet)

.ogg is to be something similar to .mov

> I suppose I wasn't clear about what is the encoded data and what is the
> container. If the ogg layer is vital then it becomes part of the media
> data, not part of the movie structure?

It is movie structure, but a lot finer grained than, for example, Quicktime
uses; the container (i.e., Ogg) splits everything into packets, not into
"media" or "channels" or "tracks" or whatever.

Segher