[vorbis-dev] audio/vorbis media type registration

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Mon May 14 17:04:40 PDT 2001

Kevin Marks wrote:

> At 1:29 am +0200 15/5/01, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> >  > Encoding Considerations:
> >>
> >>          The vorbis audio data is usually wrapped inside an OggSQUISH
> >>          bitstream, see [OGG].
> >
> >Not usually, but always.
> >

> Is this true even if it has been wrapped in another container format
> (eg QuickTime, AVI, OMF)?

The Ogg layer contains the sync and serialno information Vorbis needs;
I assume some other container formats could try to emulate all this, but
why bother?  Just wrap the Ogg stream inside the "native" container.

Or fix the apps to recognize Ogg as a first class container format :-)
(For example, that's what my Quicktime Vorbis importer stuff(**) does).

Cheers,

Segher

(**) Which is non-functional. Don't ask, please.