[vorbis-dev] MIME types registration

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Mon May 14 04:12:49 PDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> There is already some precedence about it: `audio/x-vorbis' seems to be
> used on BeOS

type/x-yyyy and type/x.yyy are depricated unregistered MIMEtypes according
to RFC-2048. The reason you HAVE to have a MIME type for everything in
BeOS is that its filesystem is a tagged database, where the MIMEtype
indicates what file is what and what to do with it on activation etc.

The current idea is to register application/ogg and audio/vorbis as
media types, with full stream specifications in separate RFCs when they
are stable. This way the encoding RFCs can simply refer the media type
RFCs (if we decide to write such RFCs) in the future.

I am spending time with the application/ogg and audio/vorbis RFCs today,
so expect drafts soon.

Linus