[vorbis-dev] Re: Possible fix for bug #14 (ogg123 -b memory leak)

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Sun May 13 11:58:33 PDT 2001

Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> wrote:

> Or (to all...) is pthreads portable enough to make the writer a thread
> instead of a process?

Reliance on pthreads is becoming the #1 problem for porting Linux-
centric software to BSD.  Whether that is due to broken threads
implementations or general portability problems, I don't know.

> Am I correct in assuming that pthreads is more portable than sysv
> shared memory?

You must be joking.
Some time ago I contributed a patch that replaces the use of sysvshm
with mmap() sharing.  That should be available on all likely target
platforms.  It's already used in the official FreeBSD and OpenBSD
ports of vorbis-tools.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de