[vorbis-dev] MIME types registration

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Thu May 10 15:43:39 PDT 2001

There has been talks on the User list about registering atleast one MIME
type with the IETF for .ogg files. I am familiar with the procedures for
this and will start doing it right now unless someone urgently wants me to
stop.

A discussion concerned wether audio/ogg or application/ogg should be
registered, I will most definately register audio/ogg for Ogg Vorbis, and
in the future video/ogg may be registered for Tarkin files. (Compare RFC
for parityfec ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3009.txt for this.)

The audio/ogg RFC I imagine will look something like the audio/mpeg RFC
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3003.txt except that it will be for ogg :)

Things I need help with: Exact reference statement (textual, not
hyperlinks! IE Publication name and author), for the ogg file format. Is
this the same as the documents I can find in CVS?

Next, is ogg specified as a stream format only or is it also to be
considered as a file format, so that you can always expect .ogg files to
have a certain header beginning with the letters "Ogg" and followed by
vorbis specific information, then audio frames in the audio case, or is it
possible to find an .ogg file with say several songs and metadata frames
inside? Is the file guaranteed to always begin with a metadata frame? Is
it possible to interweave say audio and video content in the same file?

I ask this because in a MIME spec it is good to mention any "magic
numbers" that is bytes at certain offsets, that can be used to determine
the file type and content.

Linus Walleij