[vorbis-dev] Can compressed music sound better than uncompressed?

Dirk Knop dknop at gwdg.de
Thu May 10 11:38:59 PDT 2001

Ahoy once more!

Steve wrote:
>Many of these comparisons are performed using very mediocre amps and
>speakers. Its quite possible that the compressed audio makes less
>demands on the amp and speakers, as it has lost some detail. This meay
>lead to an overall more pleasing, if less accurate, sound. It astonished
>me to see the kind of crap reproduction equipment most people use to
>here the glories of "digital quality".
>
>Another factor is that most people hear so little live music, that what
>they hear through cheap audio equipment becomes the "correct" sound.

All your assumptions regarding these tests that I mean are wrong. They used
all high end equipment and even reference design headphones etc.

The simplest conclusion is, that perceptual coding is flatening noise (for
example: a rough distorted guitar may sound different after encoding
because the distortion sounds "finer") etc. that may sound much better in a
subjective way. It's clearly not a "good" (I mean precise) representation
of the original sound anymore.

Believe me, that were high-end-equipped tests - that magazine i mentioned
is the most respected one by "higher skilled" computer enthusiasts here in
germany.

Regards,

Koepi