[vorbis-dev] Can compressed music sound better than uncompressed?

Dirk Knop dknop at gwdg.de
Wed May 9 15:19:12 PDT 2001

At 21:37 09.05.2001, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 09 May 2001 21:10, Greg Mayer wrote:
> > The idea, I think, is since certain frequencies and sounds are outside of
> > the range of human hearing, then why bother carrying that information along
> > in the signal when it can be suppressed with no noticeable effect on the
> > outcome.  So if you get rid of that information and use the available space

[...]

>This does not convince me. A perceptual coder cannot increase resolution of
>any portion of the original recording, it can only take what's already there
>no matter how many bits it allocates for the important information.

Sorry to make you read some "literature":

as your name sounds german i guess you know the magazine "c't".
They had some very good articles about this mater in the last 6 months
(makes it 122 magazines to take a look at, i'm simply too lazy to search
that myself now).

The main conclosure is:

they made audience listening tests and had some songs that sounded nicer in
the subjective oppinion ( as average between the 10 test-listeners") of the
testers as it has been 128 kbps mp3 than the original (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

nothing more to add.

just enjoy this result (has to do something with the harmonics etc., let's
say, not first-read-comprehensible stuff).

regards,
koepi