[vorbis-dev] wav output to stdout status?

smoerk at gmx.de smoerk at gmx.de
Sun May 6 11:46:19 PDT 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:18:58 -0500, Aaron Plattner wrote:

>What we really need is a format containing sampling rate,
>channels, etc. but not length.  Are there any formats like this?

from the .au format specification:
http://www.opengroup.org/public/pubs/external/auformat.html

* When audio files are passed through pipes, the 'data_size' field may
not be known in advance.  In such cases, the 'data_size' should be set
to AUDIO_UNKNOWN_SIZE.

typedef struct {
u_32  magic;  /* magic number */
u_32  hdr_size;  /* size of this header */
u_32   data_size;  /* length of data (optional) */
u_32   encoding;  /* data encoding format */
u_32   sample_rate;  /* samples per second */
u_32   channels;  /* number of interleaved channels */
} Audio_filehdr;

It would be nice, if ogg123 and eggenc would support the au format.