[vorbis-dev] interlaced / fractal encoding

Trent Waddington trentw at vmware.com
Fri Mar 30 19:26:04 PST 2001

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to encode music in an
"interlaced" format.. perhaps I should explain what I mean by this.  Say
I'm getting 1k/sec off some guy's modem on opennap.  It would be sweet if
I could listen to the song as it is downloading but obviously the quality
is gunna suck.  So suppose the song was encoded in this interlaced
fashion, I would be able to download the first half of the file and listen
to it at a low quality but the more bits get added to the end the better
the quality becomes.  Just like when you get them awefully annoying gif's
that take four refreshes to get to any decent level of quality, I could
listen to the song 4 times and have it get better in quality each time.

Trent