[vorbis-dev] Ogg123 error messages

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sat Mar 24 10:32:53 PST 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 10:30:13PM -0600, Aaron Plattner wrote:
> I know you're tired of hearing me complain about ogg123, but this time I noticed
> that some of the error messages are a bit inconsistant.  Also, I noticed that
> some things (like "Error connecting to server") are fatal errors that kill
> ogg123, while I think they should simply go on to the next file in the list like
> "input not an Ogg Vorbis audio stream" does.
>
> Another problem that this patch doesn't fix: Trying to play a file that's not a
> Vorbis file (and with this patch, missing files, bad servers, etc) causes main
> to call ao_close on devices that aren't open, causing a segfault.
>
> Finally, is anyone going to add some sort of buffer prebuffering?

You've brought up without actually saying it that the HTTP streaming
code is a mess. Indeed. The code that's there works, but not well. So
for platforms that support it, I'm working on an any-URL libcurl-based
streaming download. For those that don't know, curl is a real nice
little command-line URL fetcher, and it has a library that programs
can use. On Debian it's curl, libcurl1, libcurl1-ssl, and -dev of the
last two. Of course it will have to be a separate,
conditionally-compiled source file; I'll need to make up some autoconf
magic to check for that.

Your patch looks clean and sane (at least saner than my code!) so if I
wasn't busy (I'm supposed to be doing other things right now ;) I'd
apply it. Later. And your prebuffering and other buffer cleanups will
get another look too.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>