[vorbis-dev] Fixed-point decoder

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Tue Mar 20 00:32:40 PST 2001

massey steven wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried searching the archives on this one.  I found a small bit of discussion on the
> topic but nothing definitive.
>
> So, I'm wondering how much work would be involved implementing a vorbis decoder in
> fixed-point/integer math, for dsp or embedded targets?  Or, has this already been done by
> someone?

Vorbis decoder has already been ported to ARM. This is not public code, however.
But some recent stuff will allow us to write a portable integer-only encoder
and decoder reasonably soon.

> Also, my knowledge of dsp, etc. is only minimal.  Can anyone give a few pointers on the
> issues involved to do this?

One important issue: don't expect vorbis to be faster or more
cost-effective on
dsp than on a general purpose microprocessor.

Cheers,

Segher