[vorbis-dev] Patches for NetBSD

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Sat Mar 17 12:23:36 PST 2001

Segher Boessenkool <vorbis-dev at xiph.org> wrote:

> > I notice that there's an ao_solaris module in CVS.  This looks a
> > lot like what I have, except that it drops all the sanity checks
> > ao_oss has (i.e. whether channels is 1 or 2 and bits 8 or 16).  Do
> > we want those checks?
>
> This is library code, so we want all checks we could possibly need.
> It is important to check whether the hardware supports the format
> we want to feed it...

Hmm.  I thought those were libao API checks.  The Sun audio API is
rather flexible.  There's nothing to preclude setting 3-channel,
27-bit sound.  What the underlying driver and hardware do with this
is anybody's guess, but if they can't handle it, they will presumably
signal an error through the ioctl() return value.

I think I'll get rid of most of the OSS-style checks.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de