[vorbis-dev] Re: [vorbis] Vorbis stream up now

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Wed Mar 14 01:19:50 PST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Michael Smith wrote:

> I didn't look at the dissembly properly, but this sounds like a nasty bug which
> was fixed in libvorbis some time (fairly shortly) before beta4. It only triggers
> on certain invalid packets that were probably generated by a buggy beta3 encoder.

Should there exist a vorbis validation tool?  Suppose I encode a file with
some beta version and remove the .wav to later discover that it is
incorrect because of a bug in that version?  I always check by playing
(also checking artifacts when I have time, or just verifying that the
first and last 5 secs play properly) but I would prefer some automatic
tool to verify that the .ogg file has no corrupted packets, etc.

It can probably be a little modification to the decoder, maybe accessable
from the player, that triggers strict checking instead of the default
permissive checking (e.g. now if sync is lost it quietly tries to find it
again - I want it to produce a message if running in verification mode).

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

10001110111100111100001001010 m/s