[vorbis-dev] Re: libvorbis: NO_FLOAT_MATH_LIB patch

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Fri Mar 30 07:03:48 PST 2001

Segher Boessenkool <segher at chello.nl> wrote:

> > NO_FLOAT_MATH_LIB isn't used any longer.
>
> This is no good.

It's certainly better than what's currently there.

> We really need the GNU semantics of the _f functions.

Without this patch:
- libvorbis doesn't properly build on (at least) Solaris at all.
- Depending on whether I use gcc or ccc on FreeBSD/alpha, I will
  or will not get the _f functions, although the functions themselves
  are the very same BSD libm code in both cases--and whether those
  have "GNU semantics" I don't know.

> And availability of sqrtf() is not enough to guarantee availability of
> all other _f functions...

We can trivially check for each function individually.

> It seems no good, clean solution exists, safe from very longish
> configure testing with arcane test programs.

That may very well be the case, but the current state is clearly
broken and bogus.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de