[vorbis-dev] Vorbis on Macintosh

Steve Nicolai snicolai at mac.com
Sun Mar 25 18:57:56 PST 2001

Since Segher volunteered to work on the importing and
decoding side of QuickTime support, see

http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200102/0252.html

I figured that I would work on the export and encoding
side.  I've got an export component that can export to
WAVE files from anything QuickTime supports, but I'm
having trouble with the vorbis encoder on Mac.

Both encoder_example and Drop Ogg (beta 3 based) will
not correctly encode for me.  I'm using Audion and
N2MP3Pro202 as my players, I'm guessing that they are
Beta 3 based. N2MP3Pro also has an encoder in it, and that
works for me.

Was there a format change such that beta 4 encoded material
won't play in a beta 3 player?

DropOgg encoded files seem to play at twice the original
rate (and frequency) for a short while then the player
aborts.  encoder_example encoded files sometimes do that,
sometimes the player won't load them.

I've looked at the vorbis header in the files that play
fast, and it has the same sample rate as the original WAVE
file, so it's not something simple like that.

Does anyone have the encoder working on their Macintosh?

Any hints on debugging this problem?  I.e. similar problems
happen on other big endian systems...

I'm running on a 604 based mac (8500) running System 9.1.

Steve Nicolai