[vorbis-dev] vorbis-utils features ;)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Mar 22 09:37:14 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 02:02:01AM -0500, Keith Wright wrote:
> > From: xiphmont at xiph.org (Monty)
> >
> > > Conversely, if it is random, you don't have to model it precisely,
> > >
> > > Non-random noise (like the NASA ionosphere sample I posted earlier)
> > > is trickier,
> >
> > You've hit the nail on the head.  How do you distinguish the two?
> > It's an NP-hard problem [at least] in the general case.  If it wasn't,
> > compression would be easy.
>
> Now you are throwing around precise technical terms where they do
> not apply.  "NP-hard" is a description of computational complexity.

Yes, and the term is commonly generalized to apply to [among other
things] tasks that, at first glance to a human, seem trivial because
of the n-billion-way parallel processing capability of the brain.

> Compression is not computationally complex (in general),
> it is just hard to program.

More precisely, what I meant in context is that the perceptual
analysis elements of the compressions we're working with are both hard
and complex.

> After all you hope to do it in linear time or streaming
> is impossible.

Depends on which variable dependencies being linear... it's linear on
the total stream length, but roughly [theta] n lg(n) and [big-O] n^2
on window size.

Monty