[vorbis-dev] vorbis-utils features ;)

Keith Wright kwright at gis.net
Wed Mar 21 22:47:45 PST 2001

> From: xiphmont at xiph.org (Monty)
>
> > This is a good idea in abstract. In practice, you want to define a
> > noise floor and truncate below that.
>
> No, you're only considering a single case, that of low level hiss.
> That's not the only case where you have [audible] audio content under
> -90dB.
>
> > The 90dB range of 16-bit audio
> > is overkill in all real-world playback environments, and preserving
> > noise in the low 4 bits is just going to make it impossible to hit
> > low bitrate targets.
>
> Setting a hard limit that throws away potentially 1/3 of the dymanic
> range is not really a good idea.

Is it true that a stream of constant exact zeros input will result in
a very very low bit rate out?  (If not make it so.)

In that case it is "easy" to write a filter for the input that
squelches at whatever level is appropriate to your application,
and it seems obvious to me that that is the Right Way to do it.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright at free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---