[vorbis-dev] vorbis-utils features ;)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Mar 21 16:35:04 PST 2001

> This is a good idea in abstract. In practice, you want to define a
> noise floor and truncate below that.

No, you're only considering a single case, that of low level hiss.
That's not the only case where you have [audible] audio content under
-90dB.

> The 90dB range of 16-bit audio
> is overkill in all real-world playback environments, and preserving
> noise in the low 4 bits is just going to make it impossible to hit
> low bitrate targets.

It's 96dB, and that's only using the most simpleminded measure of
dynamic range.  In fact, 16 bits has closer to 130dB of usable signal
range (look at the frequency plots).  I'm happy to demostrate if you
don't believe me.

Setting a hard limit that throws away potentially 1/3 of the dymanic
range is not really a good idea.

Monty