[vorbis-dev] Re: ogg123: shared memory by mmap()

Keith Wright kwright at gis.net
Mon Mar 19 09:52:25 PST 2001

> From: naddy at mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
>
> Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> wrote:
>
> > > - acinclude.m4:  A new macro A_FUNC_SMMAP to check that sharing pages
> > >   through mmap() works.  This is taken from Joerg Schilling's star.
> >
> > Have you checked license on that?
>
> GPL.

I think that's a problem.  The GPL does not allow code to be used in a
program with a different licence.  Now this is part of the build
system, not part of the program itself, so it would be OK to use it,
but only if you do not distribute |acinclude.m4|.  If you distribute
|acinclude.m4| itself, and not just the program that it builds, then
this looks like a violation to me.  I think you should tell
Mr. Schilling what you are doing, and ask for a copy under LGPL,
BSD, or similar licence.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright at free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>