[vorbis-dev] UTF-8 in comments

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Mar 16 00:07:30 PST 2001

At 03:59 AM 3/16/01 +0100, you wrote:
>> More than that - oggenc compiles and runs on a wide variety of systems,
>> some of which bear absolutely no resemblence to unix. Yes, the fact that
>> oggenc currently expects the input to be correct (rather than converting it
>> internally) is a problem. It's not easily fixed, which is why it hasn't
>> been fixed, however. I'd appreciate suggestions.
>
>Why not do the UTF-8 conversion in a wrapper function/lib/etc. ? Then the
>alternative code for this could be available for compile on systems without
>it.. (don't know how advanced this conversion is, but it's about time someone
>makes a portable way of doing this anyway :)

Of course - this is obviously the right thing to do, but someone needs to
actually WRITE the contents of this wrapper function for each relevent
platform (and as others have said, this is difficult. Most platforms don't
guarantee the precense of UTF-8. unix doesn't, generally. win32 doesn't (NT
has it, others don't)).

Michael