[vorbis-dev] vorbis-utils features ;)

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Thu Mar 15 18:04:33 PST 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 08:48:50PM -0800, Monty wrote:

> > (*) At silent areas in a song (extracted digitally with cdparanoia) the
> > bitrate holds around 200 kps (-b 192).. That seems like a waste of bits to me
>
> Then it's not actually digital silence, most likely.  Very very low
> amplitude hiss (and even the best microphones have this) is difficult
> to model in a transform encoder precisely.  There *is* signal
> there... and hard to encode signal at that, because it's truly random
> :-)

Still shouldn't be needing 200 kbps to code this though; if it's below
the threshold of hearing it shouldn't matter whether it's random or
not; Vorbis should be throwing it out! Or is there a major mistake in
the psycoacoustic model?

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>