[vorbis-dev] constant low-bitrate for streaming test

Smörk smoerk at gmx.de
Thu Mar 15 01:12:28 PST 2001

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:27:07 +1100, Michael Smith wrote:

>>I get 60-70 kbps.
>
>I just tested on a 22kHz/mono file, as I suggested. 31.5 kbps - on only a
>single file, but it should be fairly representative.
>
>Make sure you select a low-bitrate mode rather than just using the default
>(which is much higher than you want).

Okay, I tested it again and I was sure not to get that low, but you're
right. Maybe I used -b 112 before, oggenc -h says this is the lowest
bitrate. Now I used -b 1 which encodes with the lowest possible bitrate
and I've got a 32.5kbps file. And it doesn't sound worse than mp3 (lame
--abr 32), although oggenc is not optimized for low bitrates. It's more
transparent than mp3, but the snare sounds a bit artificial (and
distorted?). Vorbis sounds better at low bitrates than I thought (not
as good as realaudio, but maybe one day. Generally it's hard to say
what codec is better at low bitrates. Some people say the best is WMA,
but I always hear the steadily flowing cymbals. Sometimes it's a matter
of taste).

Thank you Michael, now I could listen to my test stream at home, if I
get my script to pipe a wav header to oggenc (hope I doesn't need sox,
I hate it) :).