[vorbis-dev] ogg vorbis dynamic memory allocation.

Firelight Multimedia support at fmod.org
Sat Jun 30 16:31:34 PDT 2001

Hi,
I finally got around to overriding ogg_malloc etc and running through my
memory manager.  Thinking of limited memory consoles like PS2, I was
somewhat alarmed at what I found .. Admittedly I am using vorbisfile but
that’s because its so easy to use :) ..
Per ogg file my memory manager is telling me it is using 885,201 bytes
per file (I thought I would maybe get a constant overhead and lower
overhead per file but its 885k each time).
Ov_read reads 17k at a time in my streamer, and reducing it (to say 7k)
made no difference.
Is there a way to get this right down?  Remove vorbisfile I assume is
the first thing (though I am loathe to do right now due to the extra
complexity involved).  Mp3 currently uses about 32k of different buffers
per file which is extremely efficient memory usage for consoles, is
there any way vorbis might be able to get this low?
I havent had a look at static usage yet, id have to take a look at the
map file for that.
Any ideas or comments appreciated.
Cheers

Brett Paterson