[vorbis-dev] streaming metadata requirements

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Jun 16 07:02:49 PDT 2001

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Okay, how about this:
>
> When we are _streaming_ a chained stream, don't send headers that are
> equal to the same header for the previous substream (unless a new client
> connects, of course).  The decoder could just detect this and reuse the
> old codebooks or comments or whatever.  This wouldn't break anything, or
> would it?  Note that I am _not_ suggesting leaving those headers out of
> on-disk streams; only don't transmit them if not necessary.

hmmmm..but isn't the comment section part of the header?  If so, then the
whole header will have to be sent again in order to send new comments.  Of
course, if there aren't any comments then this approach is fine, but the
need to stream simple metadata was what started this thread in the first
place (see subject).

Geoff.