[vorbis-dev] Metadata Schema

rillian rillian at telus.net
Mon Jun 11 19:32:18 PDT 2001

On Sun 03 Jun 2001 - 07:47:16 PDT jack wrote:

> There's no real way to parse an xml document on the fly, while
> maintaining it's well-formed-ness. We'd have to make each bit a
> standalone document. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and
> probably increases the overhead too.

It's true that well-formedness was one of the big advertised points of
the original xml spec, but I'm not sure it's worked out that way so much
in practice. Very few parser implementations are actually 'validating'
and a great deal of the error detect well-formedness provides depends on
the DTD design, where there's a real trade-off between structure and
flexibility. Anyone who's tried to figure out what docbook tags can go
where knows what I'm talking about.

The expat parser in fact works explicitly with a 'parse-on-the-fly'.

You're somewhat correct about jabber's bits of message being 'separate'
documents, but see my comments way back when about packetizing the
transcript format.

> But maybe our assuptions aren't true. How do SOAP and XMLRPC work?
> These would seem to be streaming protocols or at least similar to how
> Jabber works, and I assume they are conformant to the XML spec.

I don't know about SOAP, but in XMLRPC you only send one call and
receive one return structure per connection. So again, separate
documents. To get around the miserable latency this introduces, they use
a hack called 'boxcarring' where you stick a list of calls in an array
and send that, and receive a corresponding array of return values. Ugly,
but spec compliant.

  -r