[vorbis-dev] ogg+vorbis editing tool

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Jun 8 09:26:38 PDT 2001

>> It's a lot more than 10 lines of C. It's also probably difficult to compile
>About 10 minutes of trying, I just did a ln -sf ../libvorbis-1.0beta4/lib and
>then gcc -o vcut vcut.c -lvorbis -logg and the binary was there.
>
>Strange however, vcut is in my outdated copy of cvs, but not in official
>beta4. I wonder why, such a useful tool.

Because it doesn't build normally (it had to use libvorbis internals -
libvorbis now has extra functions to make it much nicer), and was a non-
user-friendly mess. Basically it exists as an example to developers, and
as a tool for the 'advanced user'.

>> and not very user friendly.
>Well the only non-userfriendly thing is that I had to figure out the "cutpos"
>was referring to bytes of the audio (i.e. in my case seconds*44100). Comments
>are copied as well.

amples, not bytes. But that's probably what you meant.

>> I'll probably try to update it and make it a bit nicer some time after next
>> week.
>No need to hurry 'cuz of me, I'm happy :-)
>
>Now I've been wondering, is there a tool for joining files? ;-)

'cat'. Ogg is defined such that concatenating files like this is sufficient.

Michael