[vorbis-dev] vorbis tag for general music type?

Glenn Alexander jxmlisa at online.ln.cn
Wed Jun 20 22:03:37 PDT 2001

Hi, I am wondering if vorbis has a standard tag for general music type.

I don't mean pop, jazz, etc., but something more in line with describing the
mood of the mucic.

I am thinking of games which have a soundtrack in vorbis format which could
use the user's own repository of .ogg files during gameplay, and use the tag
to choose appropriate music for that part of the game. For example, during
action sequences, songs would be selected from oggs with the tag set to
'ACTION", and during intermission or cooldown parts of the game, music with
the tag "MELLOW" might be used.

You could certainly do this easily on a per-game basis, but I think it would
be much better if all games could use the same repository of music supplied
by the user  (ie their standfard .ogg collection) - as well as the ones
shipped with the game of course.

Possibly a special music server could be shared by different games removing
the need to add soundtrack support to the game at all beyond calling the
server to tell it what type of music is appropriate at the moment. (you could
even wire your desktop to change the music  depending on what application is
at the front :-)  )

We would need to consult with game developers as to what tag names would be
appropriate for a base set which developers might append with custom tags if
necessary for a particular game.

Maybe tag names like: ACTION CRAZY MELLOW SOFT JARRING CREEPY and so forth.
These terms mean different things to different people and I am not suggesting
we have a barney over what fits which. What types of music actually fits the
categories is up to the end user to decide (and even totally inappropriate
classifications could add interest to an old game :-)  )

I realise there is nothing stopping anyone making their own custom tags in
ogg, but I think definition of a standard set would help interoperability.

Thanks for listening to me,
glenalec
Glenn Alexander - The man with no surname and a silly hat.
(B.Teach, B.Ed Major IT Education, University of Wollongong Australia)
(Now avaliable in China!)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~glenalec

I use GNU/LINUX: http://www.linux.org
from Debian: http://www.debian.org