[vorbis-dev] Spectral band replication

Philip Cowles pcowles at home.com
Sun Jun 17 18:07:19 PDT 2001

This idea worries me.  Its the harmonics that defines all sound.  Pure sine waves
are very rare.  Take two instruments, say, a flute and a bongo.  They might play
the same fundamental note but how do we tell them apart?  It's all in the
harmonics. The flute does things in a (roughly) linear air column modified by the
flute's structure and by its stops, the bongo tends to worship Bessel, but with
some dissent, again due to interactions with it's structure and non-linear air.

A more subtle example might be the difference between a Stradivari and a Guarneri
violin. These guys didn't just chuck harmonics in using a simple algorithm but
the buffs can tell the difference.

Then, there is the fundamental razor -- good ol' Nyquist.  If you sample at a
certain rate, anything you bung in afterwards is just noise.  You invented it
chum.  But -- do we want spurious musical inventions?  Is this the point of OGG?

Gustav The Lemming