[vorbis-dev] Spectral band replication

Stefan T. Böttner virtual.man at t-online.de
Thu Jun 14 04:31:33 PDT 2001

Hello!
I have the following idea about this "spectral band replication":

Harmonic frequencies are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency. That
means if you take all frequencies in a particular block (say up to 11 KHz for
a medium bitrate encoding), double them and add them to the original at a
lower volume, then this results in frequencies up to 22 KHz.

I suppose that taking anything else but harmonics will rather end up in more
noise. And don't know if that's it what mp3pro does, because I didn't find
any details, and they probably won't give them out.

I already tried this with music that I downsampled to 11 KHz, i.e.
frequencies up to 5.5 KHz, and it did sound much better when adding the
harmonics x2, x3, x4 or even more.

Stefan T. Boettner