[vorbis-dev] streaming metadata requirements

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Mon Jun 11 15:50:43 PDT 2001

> Another obvious solution is to make a substream that's nothing but
> vorbis comment header packets, and update that way. This is *really*

Why put it in a separate substream?  We could just change the spec to
allow new headers halfway into the "normal" stream (the spec doesn't
specifically disallow it at the moment, even).

> attractive as far as the space saving issue goes, as later packets can
> be deltas changing only parts of the original header. I actually like
> this even less as far as generality goes. It creates a whole new
> substream type which is of use *only* in particular sorts of streaming
> contexts.
>
> On the balance my recommendation at this point would be that we
> seriously think about making draycott a (optionally) timecoded and
> packetizable format, like I'd suggested for transcripts. In the meantime

I agree on this.  We don't want the heavy-weight, non-streamable XML
stuff; at least, _i_ don't want it.

> the vorbis comment header will continue to work. This also raises some
> interesting questions about what of the table-of-contents and music

I don't think TOC will work for (live) streaming stuff, anyway...

> brainz database update components we might be able to
> inform/incorporate. Comments welcome!

Here you have some!  My pleasure :-)

Dagdag,

Segher