[vorbis-dev] Re: Patch for bitrate information in ogginfo

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Jul 29 06:48:00 PDT 2001

At 12:15 PM 7/29/01 +0200, you wrote:
>On 2001.07.28 17:31:20 +0200 Hongli Lai wrote:
>> With this patch, ogginfo will display bitrate information
>> (upper/lower/nominal/average bitrate).
>> It is patched against today's CVS code (main branch).
>
>Could you guys at least take a look at my patch?
>I hate being ignore when I contribute code.

I did look at your patch, but didn't apply it because I'm not the ogginfo
author/maintainer. Rest assured that the appropriate person will deal with
it within a few days.

Some quick comments:
Please send unified diffs if at all possible (diff -u), they're much easier
to read. In this case, the diff is pretty simple, so you don't need to
resend unless specifically requested.

You should print out these statistics for each logical stream in the file,
not just the first. (I just looked, ogginfo itself doesn't do this, not
your fault. Still, we should fix that).

Finally, you also said you were going to add min/max bitrate support to
oggenc - I suggest you don't bother. It's pretty trivial to add, but I
haven't done so yet because it'd be misleading. Currently, libvorbis
ignores the min and max bitrate options. I'll definately add such
options as soon as libvorbis does something with them.

Michael