[vorbis-dev] oggenc broken for some types of WAV files

David Burnett vargol at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 28 08:22:55 PDT 2001

>At 01:23 AM 7/28/01 -0700, you wrote:
>
>Your patch is incorrect (will cause crashes if used). There's already a
>special case for allowing the "fmt " chunk to be of length 18 - this is
>incorrect according to every wav spec I've been able to find, but is
>common.

To give a longer explaination....

The spec's for WAV's sitting n my hard drive says the 4 bytes at
offset 16 of the WAV file the fmt subchunk holds the length
of the fmt subchunk.

Its supposed to be 16 for files that are pure PCM,but the spec allows
for extra bits of data at offset 36 before the data subchunck no matter
what the format.

The true test for the data being PCM is the two bytes at offset 20
being equal to 1.

Dave