[vorbis-dev] Has anyone made a hardware encoder?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jul 23 11:07:17 PDT 2001

> I searched the archives and found a discussion about hardware decoders
> using dsp chips. Has anyone done any research or development on a
> high-speed encoder?

There has been consulting interest in this, yes.

> I think it would be cool to have an encoder that
> could keep up with the high speed cdroms on the market. I was thinking
> of getting one of the evaluation kits from TI or Analog Devices and
> trying to port the library to them.

The library is not 'high-speed' and probably never will be.  It's
intended to be easy to read code that produces high quality output.
This dooms its performance.

I do have many thoughts on high speed encoding, yes.

> Any suggestions? Would it be a lot faster than a traditional pentium
> implementation?

I find x86 absolutely painful.  As DSPs go, I'm most familiar with the
versions derived from ARM cores and have no direct experience with TI,
but I imagine that the TI chips certainly are better suited to the
task.

Monty